Archives: Event planning checklist

Event planning checklist

Whether you're trying an event for the first time or you simply want a reminder of key considerations, PTA Plus are here to help.

Are you insured?

  • Before embarking on any type of event, ensure that your association has public liability insurance cover in place (to a value of £10 million).
  • Check your policy to see if PTA-owned items need to be named for all-risks cover to apply.
  • Any third party suppliers will need to have their own public liability insurance cover in place. Your local authority will be able to tell you what level of public liability insurance third parties need to have. They must provide proof of this before the event.
  • Contact your insurance provider for full details.

 Putting children first

  • PTAs have a duty of care to consider the safety and wellbeing of children and vulnerable adults, so bear this in mind when risk assessing your event. 
  • Consider the need for CRB checks for PTA committee members and/or other PTA volunteers. Guidance on CRB checks is currently under review, but speak to your head teacher in the first instance. 
  • For more information in England go to CRB. For Northern Ireland, visit AccessNI and for Wales see the Criminal Records Unit. You can also contact the Independent Safeguarding Authority.

Do you need a licence?

  • Certain events will always require a licence, so check with your local authority (England) when planning your PTA event.
  • Temporary Event Notice (TEN) - (England and Wales)
  • Any event with regulated entertainment (sport/music etc.) late night refreshment or the supply of alcohol.
  • Premises Licence (England and Wales)
  • May be needed if your event features regulated entertainment, late night refreshment or the supply of alcohol where there are more than 499 attendees.
  • Occasional Licence (Northern Ireland)
  • For the sale of alcohol at an event being held in unlicensed premises.
  • Entertainment Licence (Northern Ireland) For any venue used regularly for entertainment.
  • Fireworks Licence (Northern Ireland) For any outdoor event featuring fireworks.
  • Performing Rights Society Licence (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
  • For any event featuring live or recorded music.
  • Lottery Licence (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
  • For small society lotteries, ie. raffles
  • Single Title Licence (England, Wales and Northern Ireland)
  • To screen films as well as promote the screening outside the venue

Health and safety

  • Consider health and safety both at the planning stage and at the event itself.
  • A simple risk assessment should be carried out for each PTA event and for each activity within the event.
  • Seek additional guidance from your school, your local authority or the Health and Safety Executive

Shout about it!

  • It never hurts to plan early and promote your event to the full.
  • Use all available means - newsletters, noticeboards, websites. Laminated posters at pick up and drop-off points are a real winner.
  • If you want to attract support beyond the school gate, approach your local paper for free coverage. Remember that the quirkier or more interesting your story, the more likely it is to get published!
  • Network with other parents on the playground or through contacts at neighbouring schools.

Managing money at events

  • Safe collection and storage of cash at your event is essential.
  • If you expect to be taking large sums of money - at your annual summer fair for example, appoint dedicated volunteers who are responsible for managing floats, collecting and counting cash and safe storage throughout the event. 

If you're a PTA-UK member, you can access detailed information sheets by visiting the PTA-UK website